Saturday, November 24, 2007

Cyclocross....WTF???




I used to race bicycles. I'll probably write about that in detail at some point, but what is pertinent now is that until 2 months ago I hadn't raced in 10 years. I spent 8 of those years not pedaling a stroke. I tried to get back on the bike a little last year, but gave up after arthritis in my hip bothered me too much.

Well, this summer I started to ride again. Not much, but I've been trying to ride a few times a week since June. Fast forward to October and I'd been conned into trying cyclocross, which is basically a sport for people who like pain. It entails riding a machine that resembles a road bike, but with knobby tires. You race mostly off-road, but it also requires you to get off the bike, run up unrideable hills, over barriers....and even through ankle deep sand at times. It's totally masochistic.

I suffered like a dog the first two races. Came back with bruises on my calves, groins and ass. I fell a lot and ran into barriers. I also ruined some equipment and seared my lungs like a steak left on a forgotten grill.

I've gradually done better, and last week actually finished in the top 10 at the State Championships in the Masters 35+ category. I'm also proud of the fact that I finished the A race - the top tier of cyclocross racing. I was the last recorded finisher (13th) but outlasted several people that quit because it hurts so f***ing much.

I'm going to try and post some detailed accounts of the last two races in the series to let you know what a typical weekend is like.

No comments: