Thursday, March 19, 2009

Balance

There's a guy I know that refers to life's balances as the "three-way teeter totter" - family, fun, work. Life is great when the teeter totter is balanced, but not so great when one (or more) ends are down. Despite lots of stress, my life is o.k. I am, however, finding the teeter totter more like the Whirlygig ride at the fair.

It's really gotten under my skin lately that I just never get a day to do whatever I want. I am committed to something every day of every week of every month right now. I work 12 days in a row, followed by 2 days off - those being the weekends that I have with Olivia. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't give up my time with her for anything, but it just never leaves a day that I am not obligated to her, her AND work, or just work.

Olivia is going with her mom for Easter, a weekend I would normally have her, and am off work...so, what am I going to do? I'm going to do a 6 hour mountain bike race, followed by hanging with my family to celebrate my sister's birthday, my birthday, my brother's birthday, and my parents' anniversary. It will be a busy couple of days, but it will be a balanced teeter totter.

Right now, I'm watching my NCAA bracket get blown to Hell on the first day of the tournament.

Random thoughts:

Why do lakes get different treatment than other bodies of water? You have the Chattahoochee River, the Pacific Ocean, the Dead Sea....but Lake Michigan, Lake Lure, Lake Allatoona. I don't get it.

I grew up loving the opportunity to watch Pro baseball on TV, but couldn't give two shits about it right now. Saturation makes it less special.

Living without credit cards is hard - I'm on month 3. Not because you want to buy something you can't afford, but the lack of simply pulling out the card makes you think twice about a purchase.

I have never looked more forward to warm weather than this year. I've been freezing for too long this winter. Something was different.

I mowed the grass in the dark tonight for the first time this year. I smell like wild onions.

No comments: