Thursday, June 19, 2008

Happy Birthday, Olivia!

Six years ago, about this time, Olivia was getting poop cleaned off of her while hanging out under incubator lights. I was the beaming proud father of a little girl. Today, that little girl read her own birthday cards....without my help.

I'm sure that everyone feels like their kids grow up fast. In reality, a lot has happened in that time. I feel like I've done all that I can to give her a decent life. She doesn't have happily married parents like I envisioned, but her mom and I have done what we can to make sure she feels loved and we've probably done a better job than most at letting her know that her parents don't hate each other.

Today was my interview with Children's Healthcare of Atlanta. I took a one hour writing test that was excruciating. It wasn't perfect, but I don't think that I did so miserably as to take myself out of the running. Then it was on to a one hour interview with a panel of four. They took turns asking 10 different questions. I was to answer with examples of how I had handled problems. It actually went very well. I think I used a wide variety of examples that were pretty pertinent to the questions. I got a good vibe from the four people that might one day be my colleauges.

Apparently there will be a "phase II" interview for those that make the cut in the preliminary interviews. I'm pretty confident that I'll be called back, but I have to wait at least a week before they make their decisions. The pressure has made me sick to my stomach. This is a job I not only want, but need.

Headed home to NC to see my parents this weekend. I need some time away to unwind.

No comments: