Monday, October 6, 2008

One and done..

Right now I want to scream the 7 words that George Carlin says you can't say on TV...

Sometimes when stuff isn't going well you do things you know you shouldn't do, but you hope will make you feel better. So was the case with going to the opening round of the Georgia Cyclocross series.

Jay and I carpooled, and it wasn't far away, so gas was not a big concern. My entry will be paid for by the shop, and I was able to get back to Atlanta in time to work. It's everything in between that was stupid.

I don't have any 'cross racing wheels, but the guy I train had a set we have for sale in the shop that he said I could use. He had talked about the possibility of me buying them from him and just deducting a little from my bill each month. Well, one of them is an expensive paperweight right now.
I guess I can take solace in the fact that I rode well, was running fifth (would have probably ended up fourth) with just under 3 laps to go when I dismounted to go over a barrier. The rear of the bike hit the barrier and shattered my borrowed carbon fiber wheel. What sucks is that it wouldn't have even dented an aluminum one. My season is officially over. I'll work off the damage, but I just can't throw any more money at a stupid sport when I have other things to concentrate on. I really hoped I'd be rejuvenated and have a brighter outlook when I left.

Exercise has been my escape lately. I'm not in great shape, but it has been one of the "positives" in my life, and I'm not going to eliminate that time because I think it keeps me sane right now. I'm just wondering when I'm going to get a break (no pun intended). Add to all this, it was confirmed this morning that the bonus we were supposed to get from work last month, will indeed be SIGNIFICANTLY less than what is was supposed to be. For the most part, Murphy's Law has ruled my world lately. I'm gonna keep my head up though because the alternative doesn't attract chicks...:)
This is not the way my wheel looked when we arrived>>>When I prayed for a break the other day, this is not what I intended>>>

Jay made the podium after a very solid ride - Good job, brother!

No comments: