Thursday, May 15, 2008

Life is Good

Excuse this emotional post. I'll be sure to follow it up shortly with something funny and politically incorrect.


I was raised to take care of myself. I was provided everything I needed to be successful in life - including parents that instilled a good work ethic, morals, respect, a sense of humor and a positive outlook on life. My brother, my sister, and I knew that my parents would always be there for advice, a helping hand, an open door to visit and unconditional acceptance of our friends and those that we love/loved.

I never expected or wanted to ever ask my parents for financial support, a place to live or to bail me out of mistakes... and, for the most part, I never have. I've made plenty of mistakes, but I've managed to work my way through them. Call them "life lessons", if you will.

My parents jumped to help me twice in the past couple of months when I needed them. It didn't matter that I haven't been the model son the last few years. I've been caught up in my own self-absorbed world. Granted, I've been through a lot, but I tend to internalize things instead of reaching out. I don't communicate much when I'm embarrased or disappointed in the direction my life is going. It's probably just the opposite of what one SHOULD do. You can tell when things are going well in my life - you usually hear from me! When they aren't, I tend to clam up.

I want to be the type of parent that mine are to me. I'm 41 years old and shouldn't need to ask or expect anything, yet they overlook my faults and help me out. I'd love to say that life isn't fair sometimes, but ultimately we are all responsible for where we are and what we've become.

As I said, I've screwed up plenty in my life, but one thing I know is that I'm a pretty good parent to my daughter. I think I'm better than a lot of dads that actually live with their children. I may not have much to give to her, but I hope (and think) that I am "there" for her. She's five years old, but knows that I love her and will always be her dad. Sometimes, I can even see that contentness in her eyes - and that makes me happy.

No comments: