Friday, February 1, 2008

High School Hannah Montana Musical

I give up. I'm so High School Musicaled - Hannah Montanaed out that I swear they are one in the same. Now my kid is convinced that TODAY is the only day that she can watch the new Hannah Montana concert/movie thingy. She literally freaked out last night when she saw the commercial: "Ohhhhhhh my goooooshhhhh! It's tomorrow!!!!" You'd think the Beatles had come back and were playing in our backyard.


I don't get it. Both phenomenons are not horrible entertainment, but they have certainly gripped every single little girl I know. That, coupled with the American Girl craze, makes being a parent in 2008 a very expensive and annoying venture. It's all the ancillary shit that just drives you nuts. You can't go anywhere without getting the High School Musical balloon, or the Hannah Montana hairbrush set or the American Girl doll storybook. I'm "mean dad" and can say NO, but I'm tired of having to say no all the time. I'm barraged by all this crap.

Is it wrong for a 40 year old dad to watch High School Musical for the 30th time and think about which of those peppy little high school girls is the hottest? Is it wrong for me to want to wring the neck of the Hollywood dick that ever thought Billy Ray Cyrus was worthy of putting on ANY show? I don't give a damn how talented his daughter is - that guy is the shittiest actor in the history of acting (with the possible exception of Keanu Reeves, who is deplorable.). Is it wrong for me to think that it is below me to don a pair of 3D glasses to watch the Jonas Brothers and Hannah Montana Concert with my daughter this weekend?....'cause you know I'm going to friggin' do it with all the other pathetic, slave-to-their-daughter dads across this country.

No comments: