Sunday, April 13, 2008

Back in the saddle again...

Made it through my first race of the year with most of myself intact. I actually rode very well. I got involved in a crash about half way through. Fortunately, I fell on top of one of the guys that started the wreck. I messed up my bike a bit and now I have a strange piece of bone drifting around my elbow. I feel like someone hit my elbow with a hammer. Nothing much I can do about it though.

Got back in the race after getting a new rear wheel from the pits. I rode at the front most of the race. There were at least 4 other wrecks and I was nervous. I had planned on putting in a good sprint at the end, but with 4 laps to go I attacked. I stayed off the front for about a lap and a half before getting reeled back in. I was in the top 10 coming out of the last corner, but just didn't have much left. All in all, not bad for as little training as I've been able to do.

It felt good to talk to a lot of guys I haven't seen in a while. The only criterium I did last year, I rode in the ProAm race. Glad I raced the Masters category yesterday. The pros were just hauling ass, and I'm positive I just couldn't hang with them. The best part of the weekend was that several people told me how strong I looked and rode. I think that anyone that competes, no matter the age or sport, likes to hear compliments like that.

I'm pretty sure that part of the reason for my rise in fitness, despite little training, is that I've mysteriously lost about 10lbs the last month and a half. I'm not sure I can attribute it to one thing. Hope it's not a tapeworm or something!

No comments: