Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Odds & Ends

Might as well start calling this the "Olivia Bus". Had our parent/teacher conference yesterday as Olivia completed her third semester at school. She is doing great. Her teacher couldn't stop talking about how well she is doing. She said that Olivia is a perfectionist. She doesn't get that from her dad! It's funny, there are some things in my life that I am absolutely obsessive about....and other things that just "get done".

"Bear", as he's now been named, is doing well adapting to his new surroundings. Olivia loves that she has a dog. He's having some difficult with house training, but is a very sweet dog.

It's gonna rain like crazy again today, but I'm riding my bike to work.



Went to the Banff Film Festival on Monday night with a friend. It was phenomenal. It is a travelling show of 10 short adventure films from the week-long festival held in November. They had a drawing and I won a titanium camping cookset. Very nice. There was a film about some guys attempting to climb a natural stone arch in a bay somewhere off the Italian coast. The guy was attempting a very difficult move over an over, each time falling the 50 ft. into the water. When he finally pulled it off the crowd went nuts. Very breathtaking cinematography.

Everyone knows that I'll die a Republican, but I have noticed a real shift in my views on the environment the last decade or so. Watching films like the ones at the festival make me realize how valuable saving our natural resources is to enjoying life. Not yet ready to wear hemp sandals and turn vegan, but I think twice about how some of my actions affect the earth.

I work Saturday. Gonna go mountain bike riding on Easter for the first time in about 10 years.

No comments: