Monday, March 31, 2008

OK, so maybe I'll give it a shot

So, a couple of weeks ago I sent a mass e-mail to my cycling friends. Told them that I wasn't going to do any road or track racing this year. No shock, I did one criterium and one track race at the end of last year....and those were my first races since hanging up the shoes in '97. Cyclocross was a blast, but I just didn't hold on to the fitness after that.

Finally, I'm starting to feel OK on the bike. I may try and do the Festival of Speed at the good old Dick Lane Velodrome in May. Problem is, I'm still at Category 1 on the track. I'll probably just pick and choose which races I want to do that weekend. Track racing usually involves about 5 different races in a night and most people do them all for the "Omnium", which is an overall score (and usually pays the most) from all events.

I'm in no shape to do a points race against a Pro 1/2 field, but I may be able to get lucky in a scratch race or miss & out. If I can get some sprint work in, there's a chance I could squeak out something in the keirin. This is all assuming I can keep feeling OK, and I don't have to work that weekend.

I don't know who these people are, but it's part of the reason I can't get totally psyched about psychling again...

No comments: