Saturday, September 6, 2008

100th post

So, I couldn't sleep, as usual, last night. I started thinking of my strategy for this race next weekend. I have no idea how many riders there will be, but I'm shooting for a top 20 finish.

The race has a LeMans start - riders run to their bikes from 1/2 mile away. This shouldn't be a problem for me. However, in calculating lap times, it will make things difficult. In order to complete 7 laps (which last year would have put me in the top 15) I would need to average just below 40 minutes a lap. Looking at last year's lap times - most riders were well above 40 minutes for the first lap.

Factor in that on some laps I'll pull in my pit to get water, food, energy gels, or just plain rest...and I have no idea how to prepare for this thing. I guess I should be more concerned about the fact that I haven't ridden 4 hours straight, even on a road bike, in over 12 years. Time on a mountain bike is even more painful. I think my back and my legs are going to be more of a factor than anything else.

This has been an extremely stressful week - I'm glad I've got something to look forward to. I may just end up hibernating in the woods for five days and forget my other obligations of racing and going to the charity event.

No comments: