Sunday, December 16, 2007

The podium

Ask any athlete - getting on the podium (top 3) is usually a great result. I've been lucky in that just about every sport I've tried I've done pretty well in. I've made podiums in track & field, car racing, triathlons, road cycling, track cycling...hell, I've even won a No-Limit poker tournament in Las Vegas. Today I made the podium in cyclocross. It's the end of what has been an eye opening season.

Jay, Josh and myself made the trip to Cullman, Alabama to race the last of the BamaCross series. This was their state championship and offered double points for their series. Granted, the Alabama series is not as tough as the Georgia series. For some reason their riders just aren't of the calibur we find here in Atlanta. Nevertheless, you can only race who shows up.

Despite my mediocre finishes here in Georgia, I had seen some real progress in the last few races. I honestly went to Alabama expecting to finish in the top 3 - anything less would have been a disappointment.

Jay kicked ass, as I thought he would. We both hit the front from the gun. A side note - it was freakin' cold, blowing snow flurries, and this course was ridiculous. Anyway, Jay and I led the field for the first lap, shaking all but two local teammates. The course was muddy, - in fact we actually rode through two sections of a LAKE! It's hard to describe, but we actually rode in the water (almost up the hubs on our bikes) for about 40 meters. There was a lot of sloshing around, but I kept my bike up today - HURRAY!...it would have been pure hell to fall in the lake at that temp.

Jay's pace was too much and the guys I was riding with were happy with me setting the pace. My hands were nearly unmoveable by the second lap. I was having a hard time shifting the bike. One of the guys attacked and his teammate fell back. I chased for a lap to catch him, dragging his buddy back up. At that point, the other guy attacked and I just couldn't respond. I rode steady for the rest of the race, realizing that no one else was going to catch me if I kept the pace up. I made a lot of time up on the second place guy on the last lap, finishing about 10 seconds behind him. It felt good to feel my endurance returning.

Josh rode strong to finish 7th - a great day for our team. Everyone was referring to us as the "Georgia Boys". Interestingly, we almost didn't go. Our enthusiasm was getting lower the more we heard the forecast. It was bitingly cold. My hands still have a "buzzy" feel to them.

This is a much better way to end the season. It's been interesting and a lot of fun. It was the perfect culmination of an otherwise shitty week :)

4 comments:

privateer said...

"For some reason their riders just aren't of the calibur we find here in Atlanta."

GA pop 8.2 mill
Greater Atl pop 5.1 mill

AL pop 4.4 mill
Great B'ham pop 1.1 mill

GA ranks 22nd in household income, AL ranks 47th.

james said...

You know, after I wrote that I realized it was a pretty dumb comment. You're absolutely right.

I think that it is awesome that both states are able to have a flourishing 'cross series. I got spanked by an Alabama rider, got some good free food and a cool t-shirt. Couldn't ask for a better weekend.

privateer said...

I also think the 'Bama road and mtn bike racing scenes are much more developed than the cross scene.

I wish we had as big fields as Georgia. I raced in Conyers, and it was great to always have people to chase (and people chasing you).

privateer said...

P.S. Will Hibberts is a real strong rider. He actually started late from the back of the pack, and also dropped his chain either in the first or second lap. Then powered past me a lap and a half later. (I placed behind you, but wasn't terribly close.)