Friday, August 1, 2008

Busy week


Went to Gainesville last night to work/ride some mountain bike time trails that they hold at Chicopee Woods. You can ride the 3 1/2 mile loop as many as 3 times, with your best time counting. I was the only one to ride all three times - I figured if I was driving that far I was going to get my money's worth.

This is my mountain bike that I "kinda" own - I've begged, borrowed and bartered to put it together. It is an Orbea Scandium Team, made in Spain. The cool thing is that this was a Team Issue frame and I doubt I'll see anyone else on one anywhere.


I finished fourth in the Expert class, which I think is pretty good considering I've ridden this bike exactly twice and have never ridden the course. I was pretty spent afterwards. Each loop took about 14 1/2 minutes and I rode them with my heartrate pretty much at 175 beats and above the whole time. That's about 45 minutes totally anaerobic!

The crazy thing is that my first lap felt totally out of control - I overshot corners, wasted energy and rode over my head and fell off twice. The first lap was in 14:25. Because I was tired and needed to ride better, I concentrated on riding smoother the second lap. I didn't fall and I felt like I rode much better - 14:36....I was very tired on the third attempt, but felt like it was technically FAR superior to what I had done the previous two rides - 14:37....All three rides within 11 seconds of each other! I took about 20 minutes rest between each attempt.

I got up early to meet with the guy I'm going to be coaching. It went very well and he is very excited about the program. He is like a sponge trying to absorb all that I am telling him. Someone else came in the shop today asking if we knew a coach. I gave him my number. I guess I'm going to make some business cards and build a basic website to sort of legitimize the whole thing. If I can get 4 or 5 regular clients it will definitely supplement my income.

I guess I need to keep working out myself if I'm going to portray the image that I know what I'm talking about!

I have Olivia this weekend. We are going to a birthday party tomorrow morning at one of the inflatable jumping places. We'll probably hit the pool at sometime. I have tickets to the Braves on Sunday - we didn't go the last time I had them.

No comments: