Sunday, August 31, 2008

A day at the races

Olivia and I tripped it on over to Birmingham (Leeds, actually) yesterday to watch my dad race at Barber Motorsports Park. I raced there a few years ago. It is, by far, the nicest race track I've ever been to. The grounds are immaculate.

Not such a great weekend for the old man. It was the first time he had seen the track, and there was only one qualifying session and the race. He managed to keep his nose clean after a first lap spin, and qualified 4th. During the race he got a great start and even got side by side with the leader going into turn one. The cars disappear into turn two, then come back into sight for turn 3...which is where his race ended.

He was third entering the corner - a downhill 180 degree left turn. The guy in front of him locked up his brakes at the same time my dad did. There was tire smoke, cars dodging, and part of my dad's nosecone flew into the air. His car lifted slightly off the ground, enough that he couldn't steer and sent him right into a large gravel trap. He tried valiently to get out, but it just dug the car deeper - day over.

Olivia actually seemed to kind of enjoy herself. Got to see a few people I hadn't seen in a while, and despite being a little hot, the weather was pretty nice. Birmingham is only two hours from my house, but the drive back always seems much longer.

The view from the backstretch where we watched the Spec Miata race - my camera battery died before I could get any pics of my dad's race

The grounds are covered with interesting sculptures - this is a giant spider on the infield of the track

The Miata field entering the hairpin where my dad went off - stage left

Rick Gambill (82) passing a competitor after his first lap spin

An old bike racing friend of mine, Tommy Mulkey, was in fifth until he ran off course into a tire barrier.

Olivia chilling at the races
These two old guys kissed each other after I took this picture...

No comments: