Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Just doing a good deed...

What a day. I rode to work today - about 36 miles roundtrip. I try to do it at least two or three days a week.



Riding in on a backroad I rounded a curve to meet head-on with a big truck coming to a stop in my lane. I came to a trackstand, balancing the bike while I tried to figure out what he was doing. I paused for about 5 seconds then mouthed "Move, you idiot". I went into the left lane and could hear him yelling at me. I yelled "Fuck you", then saw a big redneck standing on the side of the road. When he heard me he put out his arms and lunged at me. I yelled "..and fuck you, too!". Actually, it was pretty funny.

About 15 minutes before we closed it started pouring. Josh and Daniel had also ridden in. We waited a while and I decided to go ahead and ride in the rain. I was soaked by the time I hit Northside Dr. before a big climb. Then I saw this girl pulled off the road and she flagged me down. She had been in an accident and hydroplaned into a guardrail. Turns out she drove about a mile before actually pulling over. She was talking to a guy on her phone trying to tell him where she was, but she really didn't know. She said, "Here, talk to Lance Armstrong. He knows where I am".

The friend/boyfriend was kind of a dick. He obviously was pissed that she had called him. I stayed with her far too long until he finally showed up. She was a piece of work. She asked me to help her think of a lie to tell her dad. All I could think about was if Olivia was ever in this situation that I hoped she wouldn't be asking some stranger in Lycra how to lie to her dad. When dickhead boyfriend finally showed up I headed on home. It was pitch dark and almost 9:00 before I hit my doorstep.

Anyway, I figure I'll get some brownie points in case I'm wrong and there is a Heaven.

No comments: